Last week evaporated in a flurry of 4th of July festivities around here (plus a bunch of new projects that came up for me…more on those soon!). I’ve been meaning to share some gluten-free, nut-free, egg-free, dairy-free breakfast recipes with you since I shared my original breakfast post, but time has moved at high speed lately it seems.
I finally got around to jotting down some recipe notes yesterday, which means this Kale, Blueberry & Bacon Breakfast Bowl is ready for you! I will say, though, that it’s such a simple concept a recipe is hardly needed. Those are my favorite kind because it means they’re easy, doable for anyone, and don’t take a ton of time to make—always a perk when it comes to breakfast.
Greens, fruit, and protein in a bowl is pretty much what we have here. It’s a winning breakfast combination. I often swap out the fruit for roasted carrots or sweet potatoes, but summer berries are just too beautiful to pass up these days. While sugar is pretty limited in my diet (including natural fruit sugar), a handful of berries here and there are a totally acceptable “splurge” in my book!
Those of you who know me well know that kale is my green of choice for pretty much every salad. If it’s not your thing, any bright green would work here (spinach, mixed lettuces, arugula, chopped broccoli or cabbage, etc.). The bitterness of the kale is easily brought down a notch thanks to a dash of maple syrup and those juicy blueberries. The lemon zest in this salad adds just a hint of extra freshness that sings of summer.
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl combine the kale and onion.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, vinegar, and lemon zest.
- Pour over the kale and toss to coat.
- Season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Divide between bowls. Top with blueberries and bacon.
If you’re not on the Daily Bites email list, now is THE time to hop on. I’ve got some exciting news to share and subscribers will be the first to hear about it later this week. Sign up here so you don’t miss it!