I’d hoped to get this recipe posted yesterday, but the day scrambled away from me as I got lost in preparations for my upcoming move later this week. On a scale of one to huge, this move is about a two. I’m only hopping a few blocks from where I live now, but moves are moves. I’ve done this 8+ times now, but I still crave the relief that comes when it’s all over!
This is the first time in my life that my family is entirely spread out across three cities. With my sister in Utah, my parents now living in northern Wisconsin, and me in Madison, it’s a whole new dynamic for our little family—and one that I’m embracing with a healthy mix of eagerness and nervousness. :)
Packing, cleaning, and moving stuff around has been a big part of my life the past few weeks. I’ve lost count of the number of trips I’ve made to Goodwill with donations. (How did I ever accumulate so much stuff that I never use?! Another topic for another day…) I’ve also lost count of the number of books I donated to the library. I’m guessing it’s over 50.
Food hasn’t been on high the list of things I think about lately. Meals have been pathetically simple. Scrambled eggs and carrot sticks. Chicken and vegetables smeared with some ghee. Salads with random stuff from the crisper.
I made this beautiful Celery, Fennel & Green Apple Salad a few weeks ago…and now I’m kind of wishing someone was around to make it for me during this busy week!
A plate of this salad is refreshing to say the least. It’s perfectly crispy, crunchy, sweet, and tangy. The dressing coats the ingredients lightly and transparently—like a faint kiss. Salads like this are great to pair with richer foods—like grilled meat—to help cut the heaviness of the main dish.
Did you know that fennel has long been used as a digestive aid and palate cleanser? In Middle Eastern countries, sliced fennel is often served between courses or after meals to cleanse and refresh the palate. Incidentally, dried apricots are often used the same way. Fun fact!
Have a wonderful week and I’ll see you on the other side of this move!
- 8 medium celery stalks, peeled and thinly sliced on an angle
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, cored and thinly sliced (fronds reserved for garnish)
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine the celery, fennel, and apples. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, and mustard. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Taste and season as desired with salt and pepper. Garnish the salad with chopped fennel fronds and pumpkin seeds before serving.