and more not featured on my blog? Subscribe to my newsletter!
Mondays are for tackling to-do lists and getting into the swing of the week, right? For most of us, a case of The Weekend Is Over Syndrome sets in around 9 am on Monday mornings…and we end up kicking off the week in a rather sour spirit.
Well I say we turn that Monday frown upside down! I happen to love to-do lists and routines, so Mondays aren’t usually a day that I dread too much (usually being the operative word, because we all have our weeks). To help keep our spirits lively and our chins up, I thought I’d drop in a “Mismatched Monday” post every now and then. Mondays seem like a good day to take a few extra deep breaths, chat about random fun stuff, and ditch the Monday-is-so-stressful-when-will-it-be-over dogma.
Let’s take a breather.
- I tested a bunch of recipes last week, one of which was a decadent stuffed sweet potato that you see up above. There is both bacon and goat cheese involved. I’m very rude to tease you so blatantly today, but stay tuned for the recipe in the next week or so. :)
- So can we talk about podcasts for a second? I sort of gave up on them a few years ago when it seemed like just a bunch of mindless chatter about people’s cats. I get it. It’s fun to talk about your pets. I just don’t enjoy spending my free time listening to perfect strangers gab about their tabbies. Well, it turns out that finding podcasts you like is sort of like finding perfect jeans. You’ve got to try a few on before you find one you love. I’ve since discovered a few that are much better at speaking my language, like Bulletproof Radio and The Lively Show.
- Pretty much daily, I have a few moments where I think about the end-of-summer trip I’m taking to Maine in August for Three Lily Farms’ Back to the Land workshop. Excitement is already brewing! I’ve been doing a lot of study lately on what it means to “rewild” ourselves. I’m also doing a teeny bit of herbal medicine study, which pretty much is blowing my mind. Maybe it makes me weird (or boring) that I spend my Saturday nights reading up on elderberries and rhizomes, but hey—we’ve all got one life to live so for goodness sake let’s just be ourselves and quit dwelling on what other people think!
- I’m slightly concerned that I have a kitchen equipment obsession. I’ve been doing some de-junking around the house lately, trying to pitch just about anything that I can bear to part with. But when it comes to the kitchen stuff, watch out. I’m attached. Stand mixer, food processor, slow cooker, ice cream maker, juicer—they all must stay. Dutch oven? Total keeper. And my Vita Mix? No question. It’s like my fifth limb. (Don’t even get me started on my relationship with mason jars. That one might need an intervention.)
- Over the weekend I stumbled upon the PBS series Call the Midwife on Netflix. I’ve only watched two episodes, but I’m definitely on board for watching more. If you’re pregnant, you might want to hold off, though. The labor scenes are pretty intense…and I would be lying if I said they didn’t make me a little (or maybe a lot) scared about childbirth!
- Summer reading season is upon us! (!!!) Reading brings me so much joy. I love reading more than I love cooking—and that alone speaks volumes. Can you help a girl out and let me know some great books to add to my summer reading list? I’ll devour pretty much anything…but I’m a sucker for fiction and historical fiction. Leave your favorites in the comments.
See you tomorrow with a new recipe!