A huge predicament parked itself in my kitchen last week as I was getting set to prepare an Easter treat for you. I couldn’t decide between Coconut Lime Cupcakes, Lemon Tart, Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies, and Raw Key Lime Pie. Oh, the choices!
So I did what any undecided girl of my generation would do and turned to Facebook for some help.
The feedback was, for the most part, divided between Lemon Tart and Coconut Lime Cupcakes. The cupcakes made the final cut.
I’ll let you in on my very systematic and highly official way of deciding: the scrap paper method. I scrawled “cupcakes” on one piece of paper and “tart” on the other. Then I folded them up, tossed them around in my hands a bit, and picked one.
This is a coconut-packed coconut cupcake if there ever was one. Just take a look at the ingredients:
- Coconut flour
- Baking soda
- Sea salt
- Coconut oil
- Coconut sugar
- Lime zest
- Coconut butter
- Hemp milk
- Coconut flakes
Yep. Somehow I managed to work five forms of coconut into one recipe. (Is that deserving of a Girl Scout badge or what?!)
For some crunch and to drive home the coconut vibe, I added unsweetened coconut flakes on top of my cupcakes. You could also use unsweetened shredded coconut for the same effect, but if you can find the flakes, use them. They really make these cupcakes pop.
Check out my other gluten-free spring recipes perfect for Easter weekend:
- Spring Vegetable “Couscous”
- Creamy Onion Dill Dressing
- Lemon Rosemary Teacakes
- Lavender Almond Tea Biscuits
- Lemon Strawberry Tarts
- Strawberry Bliss Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Truffles
- Superfood Candy Cups
- ⅔ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup coconut oil or organic butter, melted
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
- ½ cup coconut butter (I make my own, but Artisana is a good brand)
- ¼ cup unsweetened hemp or almond milk
- 10 drops pure liquid stevia
- Unsweetened coconut flakes or shreds, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line 12 cups of a standard muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, coconut sugar, and lime zest. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and whisk quickly to form a thick and uniform batter. Divide the batter evenly between the lined muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes for 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small pot set over low heat, combine the coconut butter, hemp milk, and stevia. Whisk constantly until melted, thick, and smooth.
- Spread over the cooled cupcakes and top with coconut flakes. Serve.