On a random day last week I checked the weather in a few locations, as I often do for fun. (I’m kind of a weather geek and love my WeatherBug app!) I discovered that it was a sizzling 100 degrees in Dallas, a scorching 105 degrees in Salt Lake City, and a blistering 114 degrees in Phoenix, Arizona. If you live any of those places or somewhere else that’s currently behaving like a life-sized oven, you have my cooling thoughts and wishes!
Summer is making itself known, yes?
While I can’t change the weather or give you a refreshing breath of rain-washed air, I’m doing my part to help you out with these Double Chocolate Banana Superfood Pops. I will not judge if you eat them for dinner…or breakfast.
Don’t think I’m letting you off the hook with a crazily indulgent, health-busting treat. No, no. These pops are packed with superfoods! I took my beloved Chocolate Banana Ice Cream Pops, popped them out of their molds, and made them crunchy and even healthier by topping them off with homemade “chocolate sauce” and a dynamic trio of chopped nuts, hemp seeds, and cacao nibs and powder.
Who said ice cream pops couldn’t be full of antioxidants?
Hemp seeds are sort of my new addiction (and oddly enough they didn’t make it into the photo above somehow…). I’ve been adding them to salads, fruit bowls, smoothies, pesto—pretty much everything. They’re high in fiber, protein, omega-3 fats, and they have an almost buttery flavor that enhances, well…everything.
You’ll have no problem beating the heat with these pops in your freezer. Like I said, if you end up having dessert for dinner, so be it. They’re worth every bite and when it’s hotter than blue blazes, you have a very good excuse!
When it comes to summertime treats, I just don’t see any reason to reinvent the wheel. Chocolate and bananas will forever be a match made in heaven, and why bother messing with an already good thing?
That said, I’m always up for trying out new things, and these recent recipes from some of my blogging pals have my mouth watering big time:
- Chocolate-Coconut Crunch Coated Ice Cream Balls with Dark Caramel Sauce
- Easy Fruit Pops
- Healthy Red, White & Blue Popsicles
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder (or good quality unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey or Grade B maple syrup
- 4 frozen Chocolate Banana Ice Cream Pops
- In a small pot over very low heat, combine the cacao powder, coconut oil, and honey. Whisk until smooth.
- Unmold the ice cream pops. (Run the molds under warm water to help loosen them.) Lay the pops on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle the chocolate sauce over the pops. Immediately sprinkle the walnuts, cacao nibs, and hemp seeds on top. (Work quickly. If you dilly dally, the chocolate sauce will harden too quickly and your toppings won't stick.)
- Put the pan in the freezer and chill until the chocolate sauce firms up and holds the toppings in place, about 10 minutes. Store the pops in an airtight container between pieces of parchment paper until ready to serve. (Eat within 3 days for best flavor.)