It’s been a while since I’ve shared a new muffin recipe. I’ve been waiting for inspiration to strike, and it just so happened to hit me when I spotted some beautiful fresh cherries at the store the other day. I wasn’t in the mood for anything big and cakey, so I decided to make little mini muffins instead with coconut flour so that they’d be nut-free.
These muffins are definitely more on the moist and eggy side than the crumbly and cakey side, which is just what I was after. They are a high-protein treat to enjoy for breakfast (perfect with a smoothie!) or as a light afternoon snack. Skipping the starchier flours makes for a mini muffin that won’t weigh you down or make you take a carb crash.
Chia seeds enrich these beauties with healthy fats and fiber. I’ve been throwing them in everything lately, it seems. Smoothies, on top of salads, even in hot cooked foods. You don’t even taste them, I promise! So much great nutrition in such a tiny and flavorless package.
Truth be told, I haven’t been in the kitchen much lately. This time of year, I find myself so enticed by the warmer weather that whenever I have a spare minute I would rather go outside than stand in the kitchen and cook. That said, when I am taking the time to prepare wholesome food, I want to be in and out of the kitchen quickly and easily. I like having treats like these on hand for quick grab and go fuel straight from the fridge.
- Eggs: Sorry, but substituting something else for the eggs won’t work here. They are vital to the structure and texture of the muffins.
- Honey: Try maple syrup or coconut nectar in an equal amount.
- Coconut flour: The coconut flour is kind of the “backbone” of this recipe, so I’m afraid you can’t replace it with a suitable substitute unless you change many other aspects of the recipe.
- Cherries: Try other fruits like chopped peaches, strawberries, or blueberries. Whatever is your favorite or inspires you!
More healthy baked treats for summer snacking:
- Fruity Macadamia Muffins
- Oatmeal & Date Scones from She Let Them Eat Cake
- Super Power Chia Bread from Oh She Glows