Berry Bliss Ice Cream

May 24th, 2012 at 1:01 pm

It’s beginning to look a lot like…

Ice Cream Season!

I bought my ice cream maker last year and am ashamed to admit that I have definitely not used it to its full potential. But all of that is about to change, because I’m determined to make dairy-free ice cream a lot more this summer. (With a little help from my friend.)

Last weekend with temps blistering up into the 90’s, I whipped out my ice cream machine and made my first ever batch of frozen custard. And man, is it ever good. Full-fat coconut milk is the secret to really good dairy-free ice cream. It contains more fat than other nut milks that you can buy in the store, so it results in a creamier texture and richer flavor. I’ve been using Native Forest coconut milk lately since I know their cans are BPA-free.

Here are just a few reasons why this ice cream is healthier than your average pint from the store:

• It’s naturally sweetened. Coconut sugar and honey (or maple syrup) provide the sweetness here, eliminating the need for white cane sugar.
  • It actually contains whole fruit, not just “fruit syrup concentrate” or some other variation of nature’s perfect treat.
  • Contrary to what many people think, the yolks actually house the majority of the egg’s nutrition. Egg yolks, preferably organic and pastured, contain omega-3 fats and choline, a nutrient that’s vital for the flexibility and integrity of the body’s cell membranes.

I’m eager to get working on some vegan ice cream recipes soon, too. But I must say, the frozen custard path is certainly worth the extra step of cooking those egg yolks. You get such amazing creaminess and luxuriously decadent texture.

What is your favorite ice cream flavor? (If you tell me yours, I’ll tell you mine.) Leave a comment and maybe I’ll try to tackle it this summer!

Berry Bliss Ice Cream
Serves 4

2 large organic egg yolks
1/3 cup coconut sugar
2 tablespoons honey or Grade B maple syrup, divided
1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk (full fat)
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
pinch of sea salt

Set a glass bowl over a pot of simmering water, but do not let the bottom of the bowl touch the water. Add the egg yolks, coconut sugar, 1 tablespoon of the honey, and 1/4 cup of the coconut milk. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes.

Add the rest of the coconut milk. Continue to stir and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Strain the custard through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. (Discard anything caught in the strainer.) Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until thoroughly chilled. Can be made up to 1 day in advance.

In a small pot over medium-low heat, combine the strawberries, blueberries, salt, and remaining tablespoon of honey. Cook, stirring often, until the berries have begun to break down and their juices have thickened, about 10 minutes. In a food processor or blender, pulse the berry sauce briefly to yield a coarse puree. Set aside to cool.

Freeze-churn the custard in an ice cream maker for 15-20 minutes. (See note below.) With the machine running, add the cooled berry sauce and continue to freeze-churn for another 5 minutes until fully incorporated.

Serve immediately for soft-serve ice cream, or transfer to a sealable container and freeze for 2-3 hours for firmer ice cream.

Note: My ice cream sometimes stops churning around the 15 minute mark because it has become pretty cold and firm and therefore will not move freely around the baffle. If this happens to you, simply stop the ice cream maker, add the berry puree, give it a few quick stirs, and then turn the ice cream maker back on to continue churning. Works every time.

Comments

1. Victorai said on May 24, 2012 at 2:20 pm

My favourite is Maple Walnut….how can this be made without egg yolk as my husband has a high sensitivity to it?

• Mmm…maple walnut sounds great! Like I said in the post, I have not made this ice cream vegan/egg-free yet. But I hope to make more allergy-friendly options this summer. :)

2. Michelle said on May 24, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Butter Pecan! There is a recipe for it in my ice cream maker booklet, but am gonna sub canned coconut milk and coconut milk. But maybe you can come up with a better dairy free recipe for it :)

3. Wow this look amazing, I am definitely trying this recipe sometime soon!
    My favorite ice cream flavor is just simple but delicious Chocolate!!
    I do like vanilla made with vanilla beans, add a nice coconut oil chocolate shell to it and I am happy as could be!
    Ana

4. Louise Kubista said on May 24, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I really don’t like the taste of coconut, it has a rancid taste for me, can I substitute almond milk? Can I also substitute maple syrup for the coconut sugar? The ice cream looks delicious, I’d really like to try it.

• Louise: I actually think the coconut flavor is pretty mild in this ice cream. But if you’d like to substitute a different nut milk, almond will not be thick/creamy enough. You might try making cashew milk: soak a cup of cashews in water overnight. Drain, rinse, and puree with 4 cups of water in a blender until creamy. (This will last 3-5 days in the fridge.) You could try about 1 3/4 cup cashew milk instead of the coconut milk. Not sure how maple syrup would act in place of coconut sugar in the custard, but it’s worth a try. I’m guessing it would be fine, perhaps just not as thick. Those are just a few ideas… :)

5. Hallie, our food tastes are SO much on the same wavelength! I just made a blueberry ice cream last week (which I haven’t posted yet, but will eventually). This sounds like such a great combination of flavors. And it looks gorgeous!

6. This ice cream looks absolutely delicious! I love any fruit flavored ice cream – I do have an egg allergy too, so I look forward to your vegan recipes! Thank you!

7. Cinnamon is my fav. -maybe with some cocoa nibs :-)

8. I got an ice cream maker for Mother’s Day :) I’m eager to make some, thanks for the inspiration!

9. hmmm yum! I was making ice milks using blueberries with a splash of fresh lime juice, just makes it pop in flavor… I use strawberries with a splash of fresh lemon juice….we love wild blackberries with the fresh lime juice as well. The blackerry ice milk is especially good made with organic coconut milk. Overall its our favorite to use for flavor, though soy milk worked too. But the organic coconut milk made the difference.

When I make blueberry frozen yogurt, I use goat milk yogurt instead of a cows milk yogurt.

I love maple walnut, coffee espresso w/dark chocolate chunks and fresh strawberry ice cream…and, and, and….

10. Natalie said on May 25, 2012 at 7:32 am

YUM!!! I am printing this one. My favorite ice cream flavor is caramel toffee!

11. Ricki: Oooh. Recipe, please!

Niky: Thanks! Vegan recipes to come soon. :)

Angela: Wow. Cinnamon cocoa nib ice cream sounds AMAZING!

Maggie: You will love it! You’re going to have so much fun with those little munchkins of yours. :)

dee m: Great ideas!

Natalie: Mmm…Caramel Toffee is making my mouth water. Should probably go eat some breakfast first. :)

12. Thank you for sharing these recipes! This ice cream looks soooo good! And yes! You pointed out how healthy egg yolks are! Maybe one day I’ll get an ice cream maker… right now I have to make ice cream in my champion juicer. Always tastes great but the texture isn’t creamy.

13. Sounds like you, me and Ricki are all on the same page. I have a blueberry ice cream coming up too!

14. I need a new ice cream maker, what kind and size do you recommend?

15. Bayla Lowy said on June 5, 2012 at 1:10 am

HallieK!!!!!!!!
    HELP!
    I have got to lose weight. I eat too much starch and soya products. I’ve been having stomach pains over wheat. Wondering if you would be able to give me layout of what a two-week gluton-free, wheat free and kosher diet would look like.
    Not sure if this is something you could help me with. A cookbook is too overwhelming right now.
    Bayla Lowy.

16. I’m salivating looking at this. I think need to make some homemade butter pecan with organic grade b maple syrup this summer!

17. I can’t use canned coconut milk because of the added thickeners. Do you think homemade coconut milk would work?

18. Heather said on June 30, 2012 at 2:36 am

I don’t have an ice cream maker..can I somehow make without one? I have a food processor and vitamix. Just wondering..thanks!

19. Heather: I haven’t tried this recipe using anything but an ice cream maker. You could freeze the mixture and stir it every 1/2 hour or so for a few hours until it was cold, but the results won’t be as creamy.