If you know me and my style of cooking, you’re well aware that I try to use natural sweeteners in my baking projects instead of refined sugar. I could easily eat raw honey straight from the jar with a spoon. (And if I’m totally honest, I could probably do the same thing with blackstrap molasses.) Dried figs and dates are my go-to snack when I have a sweet tooth. Stevia makes its way into not only my baked goods but also my quinoa porridge, salad dressings, and the occasional less-than-perfect green smoothie.
Life without refined sugar isn’t so bad at all, really, once you get used to it. I understand, though, that not it’s not an overnight switch. Transitioning to a naturally sweetened lifestyle takes time. But thanks to Wholesome Sweeteners, that transition just got a whole lot easier.
The good people at Wholesome Sweeteners have just released a brand new product that happens to be one of my favorite natural sweeteners: coconut palm sugar! Here are just a few reasons to love this delicious ingredient:
- It’s flavor is terrific! I love the subtle caramel undertones of coconut sugar.
- It’s an easy replacement for granulated white sugar. I love how simple it is to swap in coconut sugar for white sugar in bread, muffin, and dessert recipes. Although it’s not quite as sweet as regular sugar, I find that I can usually use less than the original recipe calls for because coconut sugar packs a whole lot more flavor.
- It actually has nutrients! Okay, it’s not like coconut sugar is the next kale or anything. But still, it does contain small amounts of magnesium, iron, and zinc.
In addition to coconut sugar, Wholesome Sweeteners is my go-to source for other natural organic sweeteners like honey, agave nectar, and blackstrap molasses. But I must say, I’m thrilled that they are now adding coconut sugar to their line of products. I have worked with several brands of coconut sugar in the past. For the most part, they all have roughly the same texture and consistency. But I have found the Wholesome Sweeteners product to be a bit finer, sandier, and less gritty than other brands.
These energy cookies are an easy-to-make treat guaranteed to stick with you! Soft and moist, the flourless cookies are packed with fiber and healthy fats from the nuts and seeds. The coconut sugar and mashed bananas lend subtle fruity sweetness, making them the perfect morning pick-me-up or afternoon snack.
More recipes you’ll love with coconut sugar:
UPDATE 5/14/12 – This giveaway is now CLOSED. Thanks to all who entered!
Wholesome Sweeteners has generously offered to give away an assortment of some of their incredible products to one lucky Daily Bites reader! Included in the package:
- NEW Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
- Organic Raw Blue Agave Nectar
- Organic Fair Trade Raw Honey
- Organic Fair Trade Amber Honey
- Organic Fair Trade Blackstrap Molasses
It’s simple to enter. Here’s how:
- Leave a comment on this post telling me your favorite flavor of cookie.
- Follow Wholesome Sweeteners on Facebook and/or Twitter and leave a comment saying that you did.
- Follow Daily Bites on Facebook if you do not already and leave a comment saying that you did.
- Follow Daily Bites on Twitter if you do not already and leave a comment saying that you did.
This giveaway is open to residents of the United States, age 18 or older. The giveaway will remain open until Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 6:00 pm CST. Winner will be contacted via email.
Soft Banana Energy Cookies
Makes 12 hearty cookies
2 medium ripe bananas
1/3 cup Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup raw walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup quinoa flakes
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Preheat the oven to 350º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In the bottom of a large bowl, mash the bananas until mostly smooth with very few chunks. Add the coconut sugar, olive oil, and flaxseed. Stir to combine. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Drop the dough onto the lined baking sheet, using about 2 tablespoons of dough per cookie. Flatten the cookies with your fingertips to about 1/2-inch thick. Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown and just firm to the touch, rotating the pan once halfway through. Cool completely before serving. Store in an airtight container.
Disclosure: Wholesome Sweeteners is sponsoring this giveaway, but opinions expressed about the product(s) are strictly my own. I love to promote products that I personally use, endorse, and recommend! So don’t worry. I will always publish my honest opinion and cannot be “bought.”