It’s week two of New Year, New You and this week’s theme is Snack Smart. If you’re in need of some healthy snack inspiration, you’ve come to the right place! Swing by Lexie’s Kitchen today, too, for her mouthwatering recipe for Sticky Toffee Power Balls.
If you missed any of last week’s tips and recipes for eating more fresh produce, here’s a quick recap:
- Lexie’s Kitchen – Kale Salad Wraps
- Celiacs in the House – Tips for Eating More Produce
- Gluten Free Cat – Fennel, Orange, & Sesame Salad
- The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen – Kale with Caramelized Onions
I’m a big advocate of eating nutritious snacks throughout the day. Snacks help keep cravings at bay, maintain stable blood sugar, and prevent that famished feeling we can get before a meal that causes us to overeat or make unhealthy choices.
These Fruit & Nut Breakfast Treats stretch well beyond breakfast in my house. Packed with fiber-rich nuts and seeds that also contain healthy fats, just one or two will keep you satisfied for hours.
Also rich in fiber and beta-carotene is this Spiced Carrot Hummus with Garlic Oil. Keep a batch in the fridge to enjoy all week long with veggies or rice crackers.
For a high-protein snack after a workout or when you find yourself craving sugary carbohydrates, try these Shredded Vegetable Meatballs. Lean turkey, zucchini, carrots, and parsley unite to create a nutrient-dense option that also travels well in lunchboxes and coolers. Pack a container of salsa or mustard for dipping.
This refreshing Stone Fruit Salsa is the perfect pick-me-up when you’re craving something sweet and juicy. If stone fruits aren’t in season or available where you live, try swapping in diced pears, mangos, pineapple, or tart apples. Serve the salsa with Homemade Tortilla Chips or your favorite cracker.
Last but not least, these Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Balls are sure to kick any pesky sweet tooth. Although they’re free of refined sugar, you’d never know it from the luscious chocolatey flavor.
For more healthy snack recipes and tips, check out…
- Go Dairy Free sharing Cinnamon-Fig Cashew Butter Spread
- Silvana’s Kitchen sharing Gluten-Free Veggie Burgers
- Cook IT Allergy Free sharing 12 Healthy Snack Ideas and a Simple Sweet Potato Pumpkin Pie Dip recipe
- Lexie’s Kitchen sharing Sticky Toffee Power Balls
UPDATE 1/18/12 – This giveaway is now closed.
When you just don’t have time to make your own nutritious snack and you need a quick nibble to grab on the run, there are a few great allergen-friendly products out there that I highly recommend. And today, I’m giving a way a snack package including all of them!
Included in the gift pack:
- 1 (3 ounce) package Go Raw Pizza Flax Snax: Made from seeds and spices, these savory raw crackers taste just like pizza—I kid you not! I keep a little bag of them in my purse to munch on when I’m running errands. They’re also an essential for traveling.
- 1 (3 ounce) package Go Raw Original Super Cookies: Just three ingredients—coconut, sesame seeds, and dates—make up these sweet and crunchy cookies. Just one or two kick a sweet tooth in a flash. All of Go Raw‘s products are certified gluten-free, organic, raw, and vegan.
- 1 (8 ounce) package Made in Nature 100% Organic Black Mission Figs: Nothing says delectable like a moist dried Black Mission fig. If you’ve never had them, you must try them! Loaded with fiber and antioxidants, Made in Nature’s figs are sun-dried and unsulphured.
- 1 (1.1 ounce) squeeze pack of Artisana Raw Almond Butter: I can’t get enough of Artisana’s delicious organic nut butters. They now make their butters individually packaged in small squeeze packs, perfect for taking on airplanes, road trips, or whenever you need the convenience of nut butter in a no-muss-no-fuss package.
There are three ways to enter this week:
- Leave a comment on this post with your favorite healthy snack ideas.
- Follow Daily Bites on Facebook and/or Twitter and leave a comment saying that you did.
- Follow Lexie’s Kitchen on Facebook and/or Twitter and leave a comment saying that you did.
This giveaway is open until 12:00 pm CST on Wednesday, January 18, 2012. One (1) winner will be randomly selected and notified by email that they have won. They will also be announced in next Thursday’s New Year, New You post. Contest is open to residents of the United States and Canada only, age 18 or older.
Congratulations to Karen and J. Lee, the winners of last week’s double cookbook giveaway!
Full disclosure: I purchased the products for this giveaway myself because I have personally tried them and endorse them. This is not a sponsored post.