Autumn is without a doubt my favorite season, but I’ll admit that it’s tough to say goodbye to summer’s fresh bounty. I went to the farmers’ market last week for one of my final trips of the season and snapped a few photos of the delicious abundance.
Piled high in most of the booths were endless varieties of winter squash. I limited myself to just a few acorns and butternuts, since I already have many more tucked around the kitchen these days.
- Pumpkin & Pear Streusel Muffins from She Let Them Eat Cake
- Paleo & Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake from Real Sustenance
- Asian-Spiced Kabocha from Alisa Cooks
- Warm Butternut Salad with Chickpeas & Tahini Dressing from Diet, Dessert, and Dogs
- Pumpkin White Bean Shepherd’s Pie from Cara’s Cravings
Fingerling potatoes, yams, carrots, and beets caught my eye, too. It wasn’t until I was on my way home from the market that I recalled seeing this recipe for Roasted Fingerling Potato Crisps from the one and only Martha Stewart and wish I would have picked some up so I could make them. Bummer…
But these beet recipes sound tantalizing, too:
- Cherry Beet Detox Smoothie from The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen
- Shredded Balsamic Kale & Beet Salad from Daily Bites
- Fresh Beet & Apple Soup from Jeanette’s Healthy Living
What would fall be without beautiful round cabbage heads? You might try one of these cabbage recipes to get your cruciferous fix:
- Brussels Sprout & Cranberry Salad from Daily Bites
- Braised Red Cabbage with Chestnuts from Simply Recipes
- Asian Slaw from Elana’s Pantry
Apples of every shape, size, color, and taste sparkled like gems in their white crates. Honestly, I could write an entire post with a list of apple recipes I want to try these days, but this abbreviated version will have to do:
- Apple Coconut Snack Balls from Daily Bites
- CrockPot Applesauce from Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free
- Apple Dijon Salmon with Roasted Broccoli Rabe from Clean Eating Magazine
- Apple Cider Cake from The Sensitive Pantry
- Butternut Squash & Apple Salad from Gluten-Free Cat
- Cinnamon Vanilla Applesauce from Cook It Allergy Free-
This next photo (below) is my favorite image from the morning. It’s homey and down-to-earth, proclaiming the reason I go the farmers’ market so often in the first place. I wish it came as a bumper sticker for my car.
If you’re looking for more healthy harvest-time recipes, you’d love my book. Congratulations to Stephanie for winning a copy in last week’s giveaway! For another chance to win The Pure Kitchen, head on over to Cook It Allergy Free where Kim is giving away a copy and sharing a few photos of recipes she’s made.