and more not featured on my blog? Subscribe to my newsletter!
It’s D-Day here at my house…Demolition Day. In case you haven’t heard, I’m undergoing a complete kitchen remodel over the next month and a half. Read all about it here.
Needless to say, this whole process has definitely presented me with challenges already as far as what I can cook. (Thank goodness for grills and blenders!) While I’m not looking forward to working out of a makeshift basement kitchen for the next six weeks, I’m trying to embrace the challenge with a positive attitude and give it my best shot.
I don’t usually post meal plans, but I thought this would be an interesting week to share given the circumstances. Meals are going to be low-key and no-frills while still homemade and healthy. Here’s the kitchen equipment I have to work with:
- Knives, peelers, and a cutting board
- A few mixing bowls and spoons
- Blender, food processor, and slow cooker
- Two-burner electric cooktop
- Outdoor grill
- Refrigerator, freezer, and utility sink
It’s not much, but certainly all you need to make a decent meal. Here’s what’s on this week’s menu:
- Tuesday: Chicken tacos, big vegetable salad. (I’ll cook the chicken in the slow cooker, shred it up, and mix it with salsa and scallions. The salad will be made with all of the garden goodness given to me by some friends over the 4th of July. Peas, lettuce, kale, beets, onions, etc.)
- Wednesday: Chicken salad over greens, shredded carrot and raisin salad. (I’ll use leftover slow cooked chicken from Tuesday and mix it with a vinaigrette and some veggies. The carrots I’ll shred in the food processor to make quick work of them, then toss with lemon juice, agave nectar, raisins, parsley, and garlic.)
- Thursday: Nicoise salad, date balls. (The salad: wild Alaskan salmon served over a medley of greens, green beans, steamed red potatoes, olives, pine nuts or slivered almonds, and tomatoes. I figure I’ll be needing a treat three days into demo week, so that’s when I’ll whip up the date-nut balls in the food processor!)
- Friday: TBD. (Maybe dinner out, an easy picnic meal, something on the grill, or just a smoothie?)
- Saturday: Grilled steaks with grilled veggies, big salad with berries and farmers’ market veggies. (Pretty simple meal, so I might try out some new salad dressing recipes or make a fun avocado salsa for the steak.)
- Sunday: TBD. (I like to keep Sunday meals flexible anyways, giving me the opportunity to cook “on the spur,” try out a recipe from a book or blog, or just use up anything old in the fridge.)
Like I said, it’s a simple and no-frills menu. Depending on how things go this week, meals might change around a bit, too. Nothing is set in stone. I’m a bit of a meal-planning freak, so being loosey-goosey and go-with-the-flow is a big growth opportunity for me!
I hope to post photos of my current kitchen set-up here in the next few days. It’s not fancy, but seems to be functional so far and will be just enough to get me through.