It’s been so inspiring to see such a wide variety of delicious, creative, and healthy breakfast ideas roll in for the Build a Better Breakfast Challenge over the past few weeks. I’m excited to finally share them all with you!
Too often these days, breakfast is a gold-mine of sugar, refined carbohydrates, hydrogenated oils, or—perhaps worst of all—nothing, for those who skip the meal altogether. In an effort to inspire us to load our breakfast plates and glasses with nutritious and high-quality food, I launched the Build a Better Breakfast Challenge a few weeks ago. In today’s round-up of all the great ideas that poured in, my only challenge is choosing what I’ll eat for breakfast tomorrow!
UPDATE 5/2/11: This giveaway is now closed.
Before we get to the recipes, let’s talk about the Build a Better Breakfast giveaway! To get you well on your way to fueling up with a nutritious morning meal, the giveaway package includes:
- 1 jar of Bionaturae Organic Wild Berry Fruit Spread: With no added sugar and the flavor of real fruit, this is one of my favorite jams to spread on rice cakes, scones, or muffins. It’s also delicious swirled by the spoonful into hot rice or quinoa cereal.
- 1 sample packet of Artisana Organic Raw Almond Butter: I joke that I could live on almond butter alone, especially when it tastes as good as Artisana’s. As a dip for apples or celery sticks, a spread for crackers, and a binding agent in baked goods like my Grain-Free Granola Balls, almond butter is a staple in my kitchen.
- 1 jar of Simply Organic Ground Cinnamon: My favorite breakfast “booster food,” cinnamon makes its way into my smoothies, baked goods, and hot cereal bowls. Apart from its warm and comforting flavor, cinnamon also helps to balance blood sugar levels, making it a great addition to your morning meal.
- 1 box of Allegro Organic Breakfast Blend Tea: I’ve never been a hot beverage drinker, but when I need an A.M. pick-me-up, a good cup of breakfast tea with a splash of almond milk does the trick perfectly.
This giveaway will be open until May 1, 2011 at 6 pm CST, at which time I will select and notify a winner. Enter by doing any or all of the following:
- Leave a comment on this post sharing about your favorite breakfast food or meal.
- Tweet about this giveaway on Twitter and leave a comment telling me you did.
- Share this giveaway on Facebook and leave a comment telling me you did.
- Follow me on Twitter and leave a comment telling me you did.
- Subscribe to Daily Bites via email or RSS and leave a comment telling me you did.
(Disclosure: None of the companies related to the products featured in this giveaway paid me to offer them. I purchased the items for this giveaway by choice. This is not a sponsored giveaway.)
And now, the recipes!
Claire shared a tasty Millet Porridge that looks like just the thing to warm me up on these chilly spring mornings.
Sara, aka SnoWhite, writes this about her Sweet Potato Baked Oatmeal, pictured above: “I’m very excited to share one of our favorite ‘better breakfasts’ – baked oatmeal. We love plain, berries, apples & cinnamon and sweet potato. The best part about these recipes — you can prep them the night before and just bake in the morning. And, once the dish is baked, wrap up small serving sizes and freeze; they re-heat beautifully.”
Pancakes, Waffles, & Baked Goods
Maggie baked up some tasty looking Almond, Oat, & Date Muffins chock-full of nutritious breakfast all-stars like almond flour, chia seeds, protein powder, and applesauce.
Nothing says breakfast better than pancakes! Ricki submitted her tantalizing recipe for gluten-free, sugar-free Coconut Pancakes.
If pancakes aren’t your thing, you might try Ashlie’s 100% whole grain Buckwheat Waffles. Topped with some fresh fruit or jam, what could be better?
Check out Shirley’s super-informative post featuring Colorful Quiche. I’d happily eat a slice of this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Mercedes‘ Sweet Potato Hash had my mouth watering from the second I saw the picture. Doesn’t this look like the quintessential breakfast “Blue Plate Special?”
Other Creative Breakfast Ideas
Deanna shared a unique recipe for a raw, vegan breakfast: Banana Split Parfait. Count me in for anything that makes breakfast sound like dessert!
Catherine submitted a well-balanced recipe for a nourishing Breakfast Soup, complete with vegetables and loads of protein to start the day off strong.
Last but not least, smoothies! My all-time favorite breakfast food.
Kathy W., a reader, sent in a couple of her favorite smoothie recipes (below). Although she can’t recall where she originally got the recipes, she gives them both a big thumbs-up!
Dr. Jim’s Favorite Smoothie Recipe
In a blender, mix:
• 1 cup rice milk (or soy, cow, almond)
• 1 scoop of chocolate flavored multi-nutrient protein powder
• 3 – 4 frozen strawberries
• ½ cup frozen blueberries
And … blend!
The chocolate protein powder makes the consistency of the smoothie a cross between a chocolate milkshake and a fruit smoothie. Note: If your kids are used to drinking chocolaty milkshakes, you might need to temporarily add a little bit of chocolate syrup, but reduce the amount over the next week or two.
Dr. Jim’s Niece’s Favorite Smoothie Recipe
In a blender, mix:
• 2/3 cup carrot juice
• 1 scoop vanilla flavored multi-nutrient protein powder
• 2/3 cup frozen blueberries
• ½ cup uncooked kale or spinach
• ½ frozen banana (for extra sweetness)
Blend on high for 1 minute.
While it may sound strange, my niece Ashton loves this recipe. The kale or spinach taste and color are covered up and therefore undetected. This is a great way to get kale (the number #1 cancer-fighting vegetable) into your kids! Protein powder or any of the milks (rice, soy, almond or cow) are much healthier than the average chocolate shake. Feel free to experiment!
A few of my favorite smoothie recipes guaranteed to help you build a brilliant breakfast:
- Green “Creamsicle” Smoothie
- Coconut Mango Smoothie with Lime (pictured below)
- Banana-Gone-Nuts Milkshake