and more not featured on my blog? Subscribe to my newsletter!
Guacamole. The ultimate party dip. Plop it on a platter with some chips and veggie sticks and you’re done.
Avocados are a mainstay in my kitchen. Rarely a week goes by where I don’t use them in some form or another (like in smoothies). Loaded with healthy fats, a smear of avocado on a rice cake or sprouted corn tortilla chip makes a satisfying snack to get me through a busy afternoon.
When I’m looking for a quick dip to throw with some veggies or a fun garnish for fajitas, tacos, or a bowl of chili, I instantly turn to guacamole. Who needs a recipe for guacamole, you ask? Isn’t it just one of those dump and mash recipes that you can’t mess up?
Not quite. I’ve found that the key to a great-tasting guac is a little acid (lemon or lime juice work best), along with a subtle garlic kick from some scallions. Add a sprinkle of cilantro and you’ve got yourself a winning basic guacamole.
To jazz things up a bit, you’ll find my recipe for Fiesta Guacamole below as well. With color from some chopped tomatoes and corn kernels, heat from a serrano pepper, and even more garlicky bite from a smidge of garlic powder, you’ll be partying all night long with this variation. Of the two recipes, this chunkier one is my favorite.
Try out some of these tasty avocado recipes and get your fiesta on!
- Grapefruit, Orange, and Avocado Salad from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Quinoa Salad with Avocado and Cumin-Lime Vinaigrette from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Pumpkin Polenta with Tomatillo-Avocado Salsa from Gluten-Free Goddess
2 medium ripe avocados, halved and pitted
¼ cup scallions, white and green parts finely chopped
¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
Sea salt, to taste
- Scoop the flesh of the avocados into a medium bowl. Coarsely mash flesh with a fork to achieve desired consistency. (Less mashing will result in a chunky dip, while more mashing will give you a smoother texture.)
- Stir in scallions, cilantro, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and serve immediately.
Basic Guacamole (recipe above)
1 Roma tomato, seeded and chopped small
½ cup frozen corn, thawed
1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
½ teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir together. Serve immediately.
Looking for more healthy, mostly gluten-free recipes? Look no further than Slightly Indulgent Tuesday!